Sunday, March 27, 2016

Website launched!

Half of the webpages are functional

Finalizing a website and getting it ready to launch is kind of like cleaning an apartment that you're getting ready to move out of. It takes a lot longer than you anticipate. I went ahead and published my new website (ThorGunter.com), which has about half of the pages up and running, while the other half is still "under construction". I could have very easily opted to postpone the launching of the site, but I decided to honor the March 19th deadline. The pages that are still being worked on include the "samples" page, the "CD's" page and the "Sheet Music" page. After getting the store app and the shopping cart thing installed on the website, everything was good to go except that, for the longest time, I had a really hard time figuring out how to separate the two product types so that only the sheet music products would appear under the "Sheet Music" tab and only the CD's would appear under the CD's tab. But, believe it or not, that's not the only thing that caused the delay in finalizing the construction of some of these pages. More than anything -- and I'm not joking -- it was a bunch of cats.


How a building full of cats delayed my website

It's hard to be angry at these feline creatures, you know, because they're so cute and all. Actually, I can't be mad at them at all since it wasn't their fault. Right when I was getting ready to finalize the remaining pages of my website, I got a message from Tanis Cassidy (an independent director, filmmaker, video maker type guy) and he said he was working on a video project for the Butte Humane Society, and that he really wanted to use my music in the video. So I dropped everything and worked on that, which is really the main reason for the delay. I'm excited, though, because Tanis Cassidy's video turned out great and I was able to get a little bit more of my music out there in the public realm. The Butte Humane Society project was very time-sensitive also (I was given about a two-day deadline to come up with something for a 5-minute video).


For this particular project I submitted some variations from a song I wrote called "Velvet Touch", as well as the intro to a piece that's incomplete (or, as they say, a "work in progress") called "Triumph." I added a link at the end of this post for those who want to see the video. The video is also a tribute to someone who apparently is a very hard-working volunteer named Marty Sampson, who seems to contribute a lot of hours at the facility and helps take care of the cats. So obviously I could go ahead and just blame myself for deciding to take on this project last-minute, but jokingly blaming the cats is so much more fun.


A break from my day job (one of them)

Now I have a window of opportunity because one of my jobs (I have three, can you believe that?) will be on spring break this week, starting Monday. I normally go to this job two days a week - Monday and Wednesday - and not having to work on those days is going to allow me to kick myself in the butt to get those pages done. The Butte Human Society video is over and done with, so now I can focus.


Butte Humane Society video by Tanis Cassidy (tribute to Marty Sampson)


No comments:

Post a Comment