Thursday, January 5, 2017

Putting music to the penguins


Let's get to the bottom of this...
Gentoo penguin (Antarctic Peninsula)

No, I didn't go to Antarctica, and no, I didn't adopt a penguin. I would never actually adopt one anyway -- I mean, sure, they're cute, but I heard they poop everywhere.

The titles and headings of blog posts (or Twitter feeds) can sometimes be misleading, and I've had at least two people ask me if I actually went to the deserted continent (hence the title of the heading above). What I did do, however, is agree to put music to an Antarctica slideshow for my aunt and uncle. They visited Antarctica years ago, and have saved a plethora of penguin pictures, as well as pictures of the magnificent cliffs, shores, snow, etc., involving their trip to the bottom of the globe. To clarify, I've already done a slideshow with my music for my aunt's retirement ceremony, which she's having in February.


The fun part about making these slideshows, aside from living through my aunt and uncle vicariously, is timing the slides so that the music syncs up with the pictures. I used my song "The Falls of Dynjandi" for the retirement one, and now I have my work cut out for me as they want one for their Antarctica trip. The images are amazing to look through, as you can see by the couple of pictures I provided below.


 



There's no deadline so far for finishing this particular project, since I'm still working on August In Bloom, but I'll definitely provide updates on the progress. I normally use Windows media player to make the slideshow, but have also been experimenting with another program by Sony called Imagination Studio. In the mean time, you can check out the slideshow I did for my aunt (below). It's dedicated to her upcoming retirement ceremony but a few Antarctica shots are still included.

My uncle checking out the finished product.



A concert in the works!

Speaking of something that has nothing to do with penguins,
I chose a date for the release of August In Bloom (my next piano album), which will be Saturday, April 29th, 2017. The later-than-January date was decided upon partly because I also plan to put on a concert that will accompany the release of the CD, so that I can perform the songs from the album (and sell the CD's during the break at the concert). Just like the slideshow project for my aunt and uncle's mingling with the penguins, I have my work cut out for me as far as getting this concert together by April. A few people seem pleased, also, that the release of the CD is closer to summer (since it's summer-themed).


Yes, you get to meet Zoey


Okay, so I named my piano. Stop laughing! It's just a sign of a passion for music (or an unhealthy obsession). Part of the plan so far is to hire one of the movers affiliated with Apollo Piano in Chico to haul the piano to the concert and back. It's a pretty penny well-spent to ensure quality sound that I'm not taking any chances on. The venue where the concert will be held is still to be determined, but updates will be available soon, including the news feed on my website (which you can check out here).

The plans for the concert are still in the early stages, but if you're wondering if songs from other albums besides August In Bloom will be performed, the answer of course is yes :)

Comments are always welcome while I stay busy working towards the April date. And if I don't see you in person between now and then, I'll see you in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment