Friday, February 5, 2016

Website Templates and an Update on Recording

Website Update

A template has been chosen for the ThorGunter.com website, so the site is under construction and under way! I've done all of the designing myself so far and it seems to be progressing nicely.  For the more technically complex features (such as adding the sound clips and/or putting in the shopping cart for the CD sales) I may have some friends-for-hire help me with those. Oh, and "friends-for-hire" is a term used for close friends that are so nerdy and techno-savvy that they actually LIKE helping me with this for some reason, and in return I either pay them cash, buy them a beer and/or food (usually all three) and offer them an eternal status of being indebted so that they can collect on any favors in the future (such as free car rides, proofreading services, and an unlimited supply of REALLY bad jokes at no extra cost).

And then again I just may be able to figure out how to add those other website features myself - you never know. So far, my website designing skills are good enough to where I was able to get a domain name, connect the domain name to my account on Wix (the template site/company I use for the Arctic Melodies site), and set up the webpages for my new site. I am easily able to put in text, pictures and video, as well as add or rearrange webpages, and I can even put in "drop-down" menus without the help of nerdy fellows directing me. So I just may be able to figure out the rest. It's hard to say. I tried building a website "from scratch" one day, by using a website editor and raw HTML codes, and I wanted to throw my computer out the window. So, again, hard to say.


What's To Become Of The "Arctic Melodies" Label?

I'm so glad you asked! The current plan is to just use my first and last name as the brand name of my actual music. This would be advertised for concerts, concert booking, my CD albums, etc. "Arctic Melodies", on the other hand, will be (as it was originally intended) the name of the music label through which I will release my own CD's. The first digital venue I'll be using to professionally release my CD's is the company called CD Baby (http://www.CDBaby.com). They will also be distributing the music (both in CD format as well as single downloads of songs) onto iTunes. This may take a while to set up only because I'm re-recording EVERYTHING, and in the process cursing loudly when I mess up during the recording, so that even my semi-deaf neighbor can hear me shouting out profanities when I have to start over.

As far as the Arctic Melodies website, it will still be there for now but it will be re-designed to be just a website for the music label. ThorGunter.com is where you'd go to actually buy my CD's and book concerts. Eventually, Arctic Melodies, as an independent music label, will also be accepting submissions from other instrumental soloists who want their music published through that same label. Ideally, the music will have the same or a similar genre as mine, and the person submitting the music would pay a fee, and in return get his/her album made and professionally packaged. There will have to be an actual logo made too, etc. But this is far into the future, and something that will have to be set aside for a later discussion.

My intention today (or yesterday, as these blog posts are intended to be made every Thursday) was not just to share technical updates about a website but also to touch on some thoughts I've had about music composition. The topic seems disjointed from the current post, so those interested in checking out the next post can click on the link below.

CLICK HERE FOR MY NEXT BLOG POST, "HOW TO MAKE YOUR MUSIC MORE EMOTIONAL"


No comments:

Post a Comment